Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Viewing Life Through Alignment Grids

I don't know if it's because I just started playing my very first D&D game a few weeks ago or if I saw a bunch of versions of alignment charts posted on Facebook, but I have started to view many shows and movies lately trying to figure out what D&D alignment grid characters belong to.

If you don't know what a D&D alignment grid is, it is a 3x3 grid that classifies characters' behavior and attitudes. Essentially, it dictates how a character will react in any given situation. The table looks like this:

Lawful GoodNeutral GoodChaotic Good
Lawful NeutralNeutralChaotic Neutral
Lawful EvilNeutral EvilChaotic Evil


Growing up with D&D computer games, I got used to these terms, but never really understood them in great detail. Although, the first one I remember where it really affected anything was Planescape Torment because your alignment could change based on your actions. The more I play games with moral choices, the more I notice patterns of mine. I almost always play as a character that will save as many lives as possible, but then rob everyone blind if they let me. I'm still not really sure where that puts me. Other than the robbing, I definitely play Neutral Good because I won't blindly obey the law if it means harming innocents. But if I'm robbing you blind so I can buy better equipment to fight larger monsters and save more towns, that's still Good...right?

But besides the introspection, I've also noticed I've been making similar observations while watching Star Trek: The Next Generation and Bleach. I haven't tried to classify everyone, but there are definitely some characters that I keep focusing on. For example, I argue Captain Picard is Lawful Neutral. There have been a number of episodes where he chooses not to aid people because it would break the Prime Directive. Dr. Pulaski is Chaotic Good since aiding people comes above all else. I'm still trying to figure out what Kenpachi would be. All he cares about is fighting the strongest person, nothing else matters. I feel like that's some form of evil, but I'm not sure if it's Lawful or Neutral...

What alignments are your characters? What alignment are you?

Just for fun, here are some alignment charts:


2 comments:

  1. I'd consider you chaotic good. Neutral good is more like, "I'll rob if I have to, but generally not." Chaotic good is more like, "Screw your 'rules.' I need your stuff for the betterment of humanity!"

    I'd also say Picard is more Lawful Good. I mean, he's gotta have some good about him. The Prime Directive just occasionally makes him choose whether being "Lawful" or "Good" is more important to him (and typically LG types do tend to choose Law in those situations, but not always).

    I love thinking of characters in terms of alignment. It's one of the most fun things to do :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://gameofowns.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/alignment.jpg

    and

    http://www.onelowerlight.com/writing/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/firefly-character-alignment.jpg

    ReplyDelete