Friday, February 15, 2013

Gaming Confessions

I think every gamer has their embarrassing moments in their gaming history.  I've decided it's time to confess two of mine: I got a game over from the first Goomba in Super Mario Bros. and I was knocked out by Glass Joe in Mike Tyson's Punch-Out.  Phew, that feels good.

I grew up watching my brothers play these games.  While I was out with the Boy's Brigade at my church for a couple hours, Adam would have played through Super Mario Bros. at least twice.  Although, I don't know if he ever actually beat Mike Tyson, Andrew would play Punch-Out all the time.  I had watched these two master all the difficult sections of the games, saw the strategies and solutions to all the game's puzzles and challenges.  I never actually played them myself until a few years into college.  When I finally decided I needed to play these games, I thought my foreknowledge would help me breeze through these games.  Apparently there's more to video games than just knowledge.

The experience with the Goomba was actually quite comical.  Life number 1 - I ran straight forward, didn't realize the Goomba was so close to the beginning and ran straight into him.  Life number 2 - I was totally ready.  I ran forward, thought I'd pull off my brother's move of hitting the coin block and killing the Goomba in one swoop, but instead jumped too early, hit the side of the coin block and ran straight into the Goomba upon hitting the ground.  Life number 3 - I was determined to pull this move off, ignoring the fact that this was the very first enemy and my very last life.  I managed to hit the coin block properly this time and scored my first points, but it was still just slightly too early and I again landed straight into the side of the Goomba and died.  Sometimes you're just so bad at a game, that it's more hilarious than it is frustrating.

The experience with Glass Joe wasn't as interesting a story.  It was just a series of failed dodges and slow punches that led to Little Mac's loss from one of video game history's easiest bad guys to beat.  Apparently you can't get muscle memory for timing from watching someone else play a game.  Who knew?

3 comments:

  1. Are you saying you didn't play Super Mario Bros. until college? This is undoing everything I thought I knew about you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is correct. I grew up watching my brothers play the original. I did play 2 and 3 growing up, though.

      Delete
  2. I didn't know you could lose to Glass Joe ;-)

    For Punch Out, Andrew and I unintentionally complemented each other. I could beat everybody in the whole game except Tyson. Andrew could beat only Tyson (well, and Glass Joe ;-).

    ReplyDelete