Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Games I Grew Up On: Think Quick!

I was blessed growing up to have parents awesome and capable enough to have an Apple IIe computer. One of the games I distinctly remember playing on that computer was this game: Think Quick!

I guess there was a story to it, but honestly I don't remember knowing it or caring as a kid.  I just know that I was tasked to find puzzle pieces to form a map that led to a lock, find the key to that lock, and find the pieces of a suit of armor all while avoiding getting eaten by giant worms.

Being a game from The Learning Company (one of my favorite game development companies), there is learning involved, but you wouldn't even realize it because of how fun the game is (which is why the Learning Company is one of my favorites).  Kids learn pattern recognition, obstacle avoidance, cause and effect, planning, and many other incredibly useful life skills from playing this game.  I think this game is one of the many things that led to my love of puzzles and puzzle solving.  The game even comes with a level editor that I remember messing around with to build my own mazes.  If I remember right, I used it like most other level editors and just made things to goof around with the game's systems (build a room filled with worms and try to escape or build a room filled with worms and flowers to put them to sleep just to see what would happen).

2 comments:

  1. How did you remember the name of that game? I've been trying to think of it for years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had been trying to remember it for years and I think it was some random search involving knight, worm, and dragon or something like that. As soon as I found it, I made sure to look it up again every few years so I wouldn't forget it again.

    ReplyDelete