Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Cartoons I Grew Up On: The Mysterious Cities of Gold

I want to say the series, The Mysterious Cities of Gold, was my introduction into a show having continuity.  Unfortunately, I would miss episodes here and there, which made things a little confusing, so I wasn't able to watch the whole thing until a few years ago.

The show takes place in 1532 and revolves around a young Spanish orphan, Esteban, who is searching for his father while navigating for a mysterious man named Mendoza in his search for the Cities of Gold in the New World.  During their entire search, the crew is constantly hounded by other people also hunting for the cities of gold, including the commander of the Spanish forces, Gomez.  The closer they get to achieve their goal, the more they realize there is more to finding the mysterious cities of gold than just becoming wealthy beyond imagination.

This has some very minor similarities to Avatar the Last Airbender.  They both aired in the States on Nickelodeon, they both focus on three children (two boys and a girl), they both deal with the fantastic (although Avatar is admittedly way more fantastic than this is), and they are both animes (although this is also made by the French).  It definitely is a cheesy show (it is a kid's show after all), but it has some very interesting concepts in it that are worth watching.  It's only 39 episodes, so not that long of a series to go through.

3 comments:

  1. Matt Wyatt and I rewatched the whole thing a few years ago. It got a little weird toward the end, but I still love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I don't think I ever saw those last bunch of episodes as a kid because I remember thinking the same thing when I watched the whole series a couple years ago.

      Delete
    2. I wonder if Nickelodeon ever aired them. They must have, but...maybe only once or something?

      Delete