Saturday, March 7, 2009

There was a priest, a rabbi, and a nun

I read a lot of comedy books. In fact, that's almost all I read. I love to laugh and I love reading clever jokes. But how many times in life have you read/heard a joke setup that got interrupted in a book, movie, or TV show? I guess a lot of these jokes are dirty jokes that most people should know or something and should get the reference to, but I always wonder what the rest of the joke is. Is the joke actually funny or was it more amusing that it got cut off?

I think there should be a repository of unfinished jokes. Then people can add the ending to the joke (if it's appropriate). I also wonder if making a character in a story whose sole purpose is to start unfinished jokes that keep getting cut off would be funny.

Another thought just occurred to me...other than books, movies, and TV shows, I don't really hear jokes set up like this. Do I just not hang out with the right people? Or are jokes about religious figures and pianos and such like cole slaw, a favorite of a previous generation that my generation just doesn't get?

No comments:

Post a Comment