Friday, May 11, 2012

Zugg's Journal: Day 1 and 2

Zugg is my Dungeons & Dragons character.  He is a Chaotic Neutral, Half-Orc Druid with a animal companion wolf, Snarl.

Day 1

I was tasked by the other druids to pick up the provisions we needed from town.  I hate getting stuck with this job.  Villages are just so unnatural...not to mention filled with lousy humans.  I got sidetracked in the forest awhile, so I didn't make it into town until evening.  By then, the general store was closed.  I checked the inn to see if he could help.  Inside was an obnoxious human who kept spouting, "I'm a noble!"  Fortunately, he didn't seem to notice me as I walked in and talked the innkeeper into letting me buy some provisions from the back.  Unfortunately, he spotted me on the way back.  I agreed to share a drink with him to see if that would shut him up.  It didn't.  His name is Foldout Couch (pronounced Fulldoot Cooch).  He turns to talk to a very tiny man sitting next to him (I have never seen such a small man before!) named Seebow Stumbleduck.  I take this distraction as a chance to escape.  I manage to get outside the inn and am trying to leave the town when five tough looking men block my way.  They all were fairly well armed and I didn't see a way passed them, so I reluctantly headed back into the inn.  As I walk back in, a female elf beckons me over to a corner table.  Thankfully, Foldout is not with her, so I join her.  She seems to have gotten Seebow to join at the table as well.

At this point, the bar goes completely silent (except for that idiot, Foldout) as some men enter.  Foldout spots them and immediately beckons them over to tell them that he's a noble (at least he's consistent).  It's pretty obvious to see that these men are getting upset and are not people to trifle with, so the elf and I try to coax Foldout over to our table and away from these men.  I really didn't want to get involved in a bar fight, especially with these guys.  I was getting enough odd looks from people who noticed I'm a Half-Orc who can actually speak intelligently...On their way out, the leader of the group of men comes over and invites us to dinner at the mayor's place tomorrow.  It's fairly obvious this is an offer we can't refuse.  It's getting late, so I ask the innkeeper if I can spend the night in the stable.  I'm far more comfortable in there with the animals than in a room.  There's a pony stuck in here with the other horses with a missing shoe.  It probably belongs to that numbskull, Foldout...

Day 2

As soon as I wake up, I leave town.  I know my way around the forest much better than anyone else, so they'd never be able to stop me once I'm there.  Once I'm in the forest, I notice that I'm being followed.  I start walking in circles to see if I can lose the tail when I trip on a root, stumble through a bush, and flop down in front of the elf from last night.  I'm not the most graceful creature, even in my natural habitat.  Foldout and Seebow meet us as well, so I tell them about my follower.  We formulate a plan to catch him by having the elf hide in the bushes while the rest of us keep walking on.  The plan works perfectly and with the elf holding him with a knife to his throat, we find out he's been tasked with keeping track of us to ensure we go to that dinner tonight.  Guess I just can't escape...he says he'll be killed if we don't go and he loses us, so Seebow and Foldout promise him we'll all attend.  I'm still trying to find a way out of this mess...

The elf tells us we have to visit a farm nearby, but doesn't explain why.  Since I don't feel like having the three of them hunting me down, I join them.  The elf keeps giving Foldout the cold shoulder and ignoring his questions, so he leaves us to go rest under a tree.  I'm beginning to like this elf.  We go inside this building and talk to some old man.  I don't really pay attention because I'm still trying to come up with a way to escape.  Something about the town being taken over by a Thieves' Guild...king killed...blah blah blah human problems.  After what feels like ages, we finally leave.  With plenty of time to kill, the elf and I try to find the guy that was following us before.  We head back to where we left him and I start tracking him.  Suddenly, a bunch of giant spiders come out of the bushes and attack us.  They are probably just looking for something to eat, but I can't let that be me, so I sadly end up killing them, but not before one takes a chunk of my flesh...Feeling a little woozy, I head back into town to try to heal my wounds.  I run into Seebow who apparently is some sort of Cleric.  He prays for my wounds and that instantly heal.  I guess he's not so bad.

There's still plenty of time until that dinner, so we all go back to the forest to find that guy who was following us earlier.  We find a trail of blood where we left him and follow it to a cave.  Inside the cave, Snarl's ears start to perk up and he looks around.  I try to follow his gaze, but I don't see anything, so we keep going.  Out of the darkness, a spear whizzes past us as we suddenly we realize we are surrounded by kobolds.  A harrowing battle ensues with six kobolds, three in front and three behind.  I do my best to help, but without Snarl's aid, I would be completely useless.  Eventually, we kill the kobolds and as the elf starts looting them, Foldout gets a very focused look as he peers further into the cave.  Suddenly he passes out!  We're not really sure what just happened, so we grab his limp body and head back to town to nurse our wounds.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment