Monday, May 28, 2012

Review: Dismantlement Series

I have always been a fan of quick and clever flash puzzle games.  A couple examples are the escape the room games and word games.  I especially love it when talented people make a continuous series of these games because then I immediately know I will like it when I see them.  One such series that also doesn't really fall into one of the above categories is the Dismantlement series from Gam.eBB.  There are now 16 of these Dismantlement games and I've played each of them at least twice if not more.  Unfortunately, there's not much replay value in puzzle games if the puzzles themselves don't change, but that's one case where it's great to have a crappy memory like mine.

The goal of the game is fairly simple.  You are given an object (ranging from a toaster to a radio to a lunch box) and you need to dismantle it with a screwdriver.  Unfortunately, most of the screws will only be uncovered once you solve a puzzle.  The clues for the puzzle are always found somewhere on the object and most of the time, you don't need to do any pixel hunting (warning TVTropes link) to find them.

The games are made in Japan (if you didn't catch that from the URL, the Dismantle Tea Canister, Dismantle Box Lunch 1 and 2, and Dismantle Mikoshi should give it away) and the earlier ones suffer a bit from Engrish, but you never really need to read anything of consequence anyway.  There is no story here; there is rhyme or reason to what you're doing.  Just dismantle things!

2 comments:

  1. You've played the Grow games, right? Those make me smilehappy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, those games are fantastic as well. Although, I think I may have only beaten one of those without a walkthrough...

      Delete