Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Happy Characters

Maybe it's because I've noticed that Joss Whedon seems to hate happy characters, but I've noticed a trend that in most TV series, characters aren't allowed to be happy for more than an episode.  I know there has to be some drama to inspire conflict because otherwise the show would be very boring.  What I mean is almost any time two characters start a romantic relationship in a show, they have roughly 2-3 episodes before something happens and they break up.  Even the shows I can think of with exceptions only have one long lasting couple.  Scrubs had Turk and Carla.  How I Met Your Mother has Lily and Marshal.  The Office has Jim and Pam.  Friends (eventually) had Monica and Chandler.  Lost had Sun and Jin.  But none of the other characters seem to be able to maintain a consistent relationship for very long.

This pattern makes it hard for me to ever really care at all about whoever the other main characters are dating, especially if it's not a main character.  But I guess in most cases it just fizzles with no or very little repercussions.  When Joss Whedon takes out a happy couple, things get really really ugly.  I'd put links to various examples, but I don't want to spoil anything in case you haven't watched Buffy, Firefly/Serenity, Angel, Dollhouse, or Dr. Horrible's Sing-along Blog.  And if you haven't watched any/all of those, go do it!  Do it now!


I don't know why I love Joss Whedon making me so sad...but I do...

2 comments:

  1. He takes out couples! I never noticed that. I thought he just took out characters we loved.

    I see your weakness, Mr. Whedon. You can't make me care about a character you're going to kill ever again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the problem...he's ALSO really good at making you care and making you think, "Maybe this time he'll let two people be happy together..." Every time...

      Delete