Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Cartoons I Grew Up On: Darkwing Duck

I was blessed to grow up during the years of The Disney Afternoon, a 2 hour block of cartoons that ran immediately after school.  Every once a year or so, the four cartoons shown during this time would shift, so overall The Disney Afternoon was home to 13 or so different shows.  One of my all time favorites of those was the show, Darkwing Duck.

Darkwing Duck was a Disnified parody of superheros a la The Shadow.  By night, the titular character tries to stop crime by using a gas gun, scaring criminals with flashy appearances, and slapstick-fu.  The show is filled with parody, slapstick, puns, and goofy comedy.  It also crosses over with the Ducktales universe multiple times - DW's sidekick is Launchpad McQuack, his rival superhero is Gizmoduck, and cameo appearances by the Beagle Boys, Flintheart Glomgold, and Magicka De Spell.

I think what makes me love Darkwing Duck so much is the lineup of villains, just like Batman.  They are all varied with their own shtick, origin stories, and motives, but every once in awhile they all team up to take down DW.  And just like Batman with the Justice League, Darkwing has the Justice Ducks, only they are much more inept than their DC counterparts.  This show is definitely filled with the kind of goody, wacky, and stupid humor that I love.  Probably because I grew up with shows like this...

8 comments:

  1. I remember the Disney afternoon - back when it was Darkwing Duck, Rescue Rangers, Talespin and Pirates of Dark Water, although that last one might not have been so Disney. It went through its rotations just as you've said. Eventually it became Power Rangers, the Pink Panther, Tiny Toons, and something else...Never was the same after that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you must've switched channels in that last half hour. Pirates of Dark Water was never on the Disney Afternoon. And none of the last shows you listed were either. Power Rangers was on the Fox equivalent channel (if I remember right) and Tiny Toons was WB. No idea, what The Pink Panther was on, I never really liked that show.

      The Disney Afternoon mostly lost me when it was Tale Spin, Darkwing Duck, Goof Troop, and Bonkers because I only liked one of those shows. But then eventually they got Gargoyles, which is one of the greatest cartoons ever.

      Delete
    2. Also, I'm really sad Pirates of Dark Water never got to finish their story. It ended shortly after a huge plot twist that would have completely changed the already amazingly awesome show.

      Delete
  2. Huh...We might have had different providers. I never actually had the Disney channel until it was free. All the cartoons I mentioned I watched on Fox. Cuz I was in the Fox 26 Kids Club in Fresno.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not the the kids club had anything to do with watching fox or influencing me. I was much more into routine back then.

      Delete
    2. The Disney Afternoon was on ABC when it originally ran. I think it did eventually move the Disney Channel and then to Disney XD (or whatever that other other Disney channel was called).

      I remember seeing commercials for the Fox Kids Club. What did you get for being a member?

      Delete
    3. Nothing. I got nothing for being a member...physically. But I was reassured that I belonged to something greater than myself. I grew out of that when I discovered girls.

      Delete
  3. "Whenever there's trouble you / Call D.W." Yeah, that was a fun show.

    ReplyDelete