Wednesday, May 29, 2013

TV Shows I Grew Up On: Are You Afraid of the Dark?

Continuing with the Nickelodeon theme, another great show I watched as a kid was Are You Afraid of the Dark?  I'm not asking a question...that's its name...The general premise of the show is that a bunch of kids, members of The Midnight Society, sit around a campfire telling each other scary/bizarre/supernatural stories.  Each episode was one of those stories played out for the viewer.  Occasionally the story would be interrupted by the other Midnight Society members, which reminded you this was being told around a campfire.  It always started and ended at the campfire and (as in most kid show fashion) the story would generally be relevant to what one of the kids was doing at the beginning of the story (if one of the kids was being a jerk, the story would be about someone being a jerk getting punished in a scary way, etc.).

I loved this show because of how varied the stories were and how not every story was scary.  Some were just paranormal without any kids being in danger.  Then there were the ones with the clowns...this probably is part of the cause for my aversion to clowns.  This and Tim Curry.  It probably also helps that one of the very first episodes I saw had lizard people and a giant sewer dragon/lizard thing.  The Goosebumps TV show came out near the end of this show, but it wasn't comparable at all other than they were both scary story shows.  This show was far superior in every way.

3 comments:

  1. I used to read goosebumps. If I recall correctly, AYAOTD was on Friday nights. This means I was tuned in to ABC's TGIF - Full House, Boy Meets World, Hanging with Mr. Cooper, and a slough of other shows that ran through 93-99. Then stupid things happened. I discovered girls. Curses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think reruns also played Saturday nights because that's when I watched them. And girls have cooties, did you know that? :)

      Delete
  2. Yeah, I did - But I'm immune to cooties. Have been since kindergarten. :)

    ReplyDelete