Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Games I Grew Up On: Secret of Mana

One of my favorite cooperative games growing up was Secret of Mana.  You and two of your friends could run around an amazing fantasy world trying to save it from destruction.  One of you would be the warrior (the guy), one the healer (the tall blonde), and the other the mage (the short...boy?  girl?  I never figured that out).  Not only did your characters level up when you killed enough monsters, but you could specifically level up your weapons and magic by constantly using that particular weapon or school of magic throughout the game.  What this generally meant is that my friends and I would run back and forth between a few areas, killing endless monsters until we were max level, then we'd go follow the path to the boss, which would fall easily to our overwhelming power.

Unfortunately, we never beat the game.  Even back when I was a kid, it was hard to really get the same group of friends over consistently, so when we did pick it up, we'd forget where we were supposed to go (back then games didn't really have maps or objective markers/compasses or anything that I expect in games nowadays) and were constantly starting over.  Another problem was that the mage (my character) was pretty worthless against normal bad guys because MP (magic points) were limited, so I couldn't use spells that frequently, until a boss fight, at which point my friends really didn't get to play because I'd constantly be pausing the game trying to select spells to use.  I would cast my spells so fast that I generally broke the animation system and either the enemies would freeze for a little bit, I would, or just damage numbers would all be delayed and then all appear at once.  Hopefully, my friends don't resent my spell spamming that much (if they even remember it).

Despite that, this game is still in my top 5 games I've ever played because the setting and music are amazing and it really is a lot of fun to just run around with your friends killing baddies and leveling up.  Maybe some day when my friends and I are all retired, I'll try to get us all around the SNES and finally conquer this game.

3 comments:

  1. You know you can play the game single player, right? That's how I beat it.

    I think the main reason you, me, and Andrew never beat it together was because we spent all our time turning each other into Tiny Moogles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once I start playing a game with someone else, I don't like to play it by myself. I don't like to give myself the chance to inadvertently ruin the story for them if I beat it first (e.g. "Oh man, this part coming up is great!") because it bothers me when other people do that to me.

      Delete
  2. When Ocarina of Time came out, three out of four of us were playing it at the same time. We had an unspoken agreement: if you were farther than the person who was playing, you stayed absolutely quiet; if the person playing was farther than you, you left the room (the latter was optional, but we all did it for our own sakes).

    Even the fourth roommate, who wasn't playing, abided by these rules. If he had already seen someone else play the part he was watching, he said nothing, but if it was new to him, he would offer help. It was pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete