Wednesday, June 12, 2013

TV Shows I Grew Up On: Finders Keepers

After a break pause, I'm back to my Nickelodeon theme for these Blank I Grew Up On posts.  This time, I'll be talking about the game show, Finders Keepers.  I didn't watch much of this show, so I'm going to have to rely heavily on that wiki page to remember how it works, but it essentially boils down to two teams of two kids would race to find hidden objects in a picture and then find items hidden inside rooms in a house that are just as messy and ridiculous as any hidden object game.  I'm guessing what drew me to this show were those old Highlights magazines found in doctor and dentist offices that always had a couple hidden object activities in them.

As stated, the first part of the game had the teams searching for hidden items on a giant picture.  Doing so would give the team some money and a chance to search a specific room of the house (sometimes normal house rooms like the living room or kitchen, other times ridiculous themed rooms like Frankenstein's Laboratory) for a specific object.  The rooms were filled with all sorts of junk and had traps that would go off to try to distract the kids (confetti cannons, falling shelves, etc.).  If the team found the correct item and showed it to the host before their time was up, they'd earn more money.  Sometimes the object would garner and instant prize awarded with the money.

After repeating this whole process with two giant pictures and the associated attempts at finding items in the house, the team with the most money would go on to search the house for more prizes.  The teams would be shown six rooms they were going to search and given one clue to the first item.  Each item found would give them a prize and a clue to the next item.  The prizes got better as more items were found.  Apparently, the creators of this show managed to film 260 episodes total and the show ran for two years, which means 5 new episodes must have been on every week.  Now I'm curious how I didn't watch more of this show...

1 comment:

  1. Don't remember this show - I was busy watching Looney Tunes marathons at the time. I think it was the observation that Mel Blanc was the only credited voice actor for many of those shorts that inspired my younger self to develop a portfolio of cartoon voices. This can be most directly expressed through the various voices of the Venture Brothers characters - notably the Monarch, Dr. Girlfriend, and 24 (deaceased).

    ReplyDelete