Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Games I Grew Up On: The Neverhood

I've always been a big fan of claymation things.  I can probably thank Nickelodeon showing Aardman Animation's Creature Comforts.  So when I saw a claymation PC game growing up, I grabbed it immediately.  It helped that it was a point and click adventure game as was popular back in the day.  The game in question was called The Neverhood.

The game starts with Klaymen (the player's character) waking up in a locked room with no knowledge of what he's doing there.  There aren't very many other characters in the game and most of the story/world building is done by exploring and finding the giant wall of the world's creation story or various videotapes of Willie Trombone (awesome name) telling a bizarre fairy tale.  I can't say too much about this game since the whole point is to explore and discover everything on your own (and it's well worth it if you can), but I will say this: it has one of the funniest scenes in a video game ever and some of the best music of any video game ever.

I guess I should also point out that what brought this game to mind is that the creators have a Kickstarter going for another game in a similar vein called Armikrog that you should very much support because it'll be awesome and if you had never heard of The Neverhood, maybe you have heard about Earthworm Jim, which was made by the same people.

No comments:

Post a Comment