Wednesday, August 28, 2013

TV Shows I Grew Up On: Cartoon Planet

I was looking at some of my music to see if I could find some music I could write about for Blank I Grew Up On and I came across my three CDs based off of Cartoon Planet and decided to write about that instead solely because of the...man? pictured, Brak.  Cartoon Planet was a one hour block of old Hanna Barbera cartoons with hilarious and random clips between featuring Space Ghost, Zorak, and Brak.  For the younger folks, Space Ghost was a superhero from the 60's, Zorak and Brak were some of his villains.  Only, on Cartoon Planet, Zorak and Brak are prisoners of Space Ghosts and forced to help him host this show.  Oh, and Brak is a hilarious idiot.

The CDs were made up of audio versions of a lot of the songs and skits they would perform between cartoons.  These included songs like Brak wondering what day it is or how much he loves beans.  It's really hard to explain how awesome these songs and skits were (for the most part) because they all sound so stupid, but I think that's mostly what makes them so good.  It seems like the three voices behind the characters were just making stuff up and having fun with being ridiculous.  It's kind of like a comedy movie with a bunch of actors good at improv just having a good time.  Or, like the mind of Neil Flynn.

2 comments:

  1. Space Ghost Coast to Coast is the greatest talk show ever. I don't even remember what other cartoons they used to show in between those clips. I don't care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coast to Coast was a different show that had Moltar instead of Brak. I always wished they had a show that had Brak and Moltar instead of Zorak because those two were more consistently funny.

    It's especially funny if you watch the old Space Ghost cartoons since none of the villains are even a little like how they acted on these shows.

    ReplyDelete