Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Kickstarter Is Dangerous

Growing up I always saw commercials about getting out of credit card debt and TV show episodes where people got in trouble due to credit cards, so I always was smart with them and didn't understand how people could get into trouble with them.  Then I started backing Kickstarter projects and I started to see how it's possible.  No money is actually taken out until the end of the deadline and that's only if the project is fully funded.  Although, unlike credit cards, your reward is very much not immediate.  With the projects I back, it seems to take 3-6 months before I'll see any results from my money if they ever actually pan out (the first project I backed isn't going to have any product to ship until March of next year).  Once you're set up, it's also really easy to back any project because you just click a button and you're done.  Dangerous.

But in case anyone is interested, here is what I have backed so far:
  • Brawl In The Family: Volume One - A physical book version of the first 200+ comics from the webcomic series, Brawl In The Family.  I just love the webcomic and what this guy to succeed in everything he does.  5x their goal achieved and funding is closed.
  • Reaper Miniatures Bones - A new line of miniatures from Reaper Miniatures.  I love miniatures and games that come with them, but don't actually have any myself outside of the games they come with, so this was a cheap way of getting lots of miniatures (I think it ended up being like $1 per miniature or something) of all sorts of types.  This should be great for prototyping in the future or a D&D game or something.  114x their goal achieved and funding is closed.
  • Project Eternity - Isometric RPG in the vein of the Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dales series.  I have always had a love of Black Isle Studios and Obsidian Entertainment is where most of those guys now work, so I support them in all they do.  Plus, my brother was a part of making Planescape: Torment and this is its spiritual successor, so I really want it to succeed (and I also want to get my brother involved somehow...).  Over 2x their goal achieved and rising.
  • Lost Valley - A board game about the Klondike rush in the North.  A lot of the mechanics in this game sound similar to another game I'm designing, so I'm curious to see how the game works.  Plus, it looks like a pretty fun game.  1.5x their goal achieved and rising.
  • The Perfect Heist - A card game about being the best thief out of your band of thieves.  I have always had a weakness for thief protagonists - Oceans Eleven, Thief (the PC game), etc.  This game looks like it really captures that feeling wonderfully and the gameplay mechanics sound similar to Munchkin, so it should be loads of fun!  Over 3x their goal achieved and rising.
  • Mr. Card Game - A deck building adventure card game based on the Kingdom of Loathing.  The game itself sounds fun (from the few details we've really gotten), but I was a big fan of Kingdom of Loathing years ago, so I'm a fan of something that comes from that universe.  Who doesn't want to be a Disco Bandit or a Pastamancer?  Over 6x their goal achieved and rising.

No comments:

Post a Comment