Friday, August 10, 2012

Board Games: Story or Contest?

During a recent game night with the board game Descent: Journeys in the Dark, I realized an interesting dichotomy between why my friends play board games.  Some friends want to play the games to have an adventure/live the story, while others want to just beat their friends in a competition.  (Well actually, it's more of a trichotomy because one of my friends comes mostly to socialize and plays the games because that's what we're all doing).  After realizing this, I thought about how I play and I think that I switch between the two depending on the game.  To me, Descent is D&D Lite, so I like to play that more as an adventure.  Other games, I kind of just want to win despite the interesting story of the game.

Before I go on, I have to define a few things.  Theme is not the same as the story.  A game's theme is the setting and style.  The who are you and what are you doing of the game.  Every single game has this.  The story is the why of the game.  Why are you trying to achieve your objective?  Not every game has this.  Apples to Apples theme is comparison and modern day pop culture.  Settlers of Catan's setting is the island of Catan.  If it has any story it's that you are competing to settle the island better than everyone else because I guess something magical happens once you settle it enough?  Typically, the games with stories are the ones where you have characters and are playing a role.  The Mansion of Madness, the Betrayal at House on the Hill, the aforementioned Descent and Adventurers games, Tales of the Arabian Nights, etc.

So, obviously if a game has no story or a weak story, people are playing to win (unless they have a fantasy world in their head even more elaborate than my own...).  But what I've discovered personally is that when I play for a story, the game is more fulfilling than just playing to win (unless I've been on a really long losing streak...).  Some of my favorite game nights are ones where a story came out of it.  Like the time my friends were playing Tales of the Arabian Nights and my friends spent the entire game in prison, ensorcelled, insane, and enchanted, finally escapes by grabbing on to a rope of an evil visier's magic carpet, and then falls to his death because he can't hang on.  (That was not such a great night for him and he won't play the game anymore, but I still find it funny.)  I think part of the reason why playing for story is more fulfilling is that I tend to play nicer.  I'll hint about strategies other players could employ against me because it will make things more interesting.  I might try riskier strategies because if it succeeds, it's going to be an awesome story and if it fails I can go down in a blaze of glory.  Also, when I play for story and don't play to win, there's less chance of me pouting if I reach the point in a game where it's impossible to win and I have to keep playing (being trapped and unable to build in Settlers is so depressing).

What I'm kind of curious about, is when designing a game do the designers have a story in mind?  I know for  every game I've come up with there is always a definite story in mind for the players to experience.  The game always takes precedent over the story when it comes time to design it or make choices, but it's always there in the back of my mind.  I guess that's what the rule book is for...

2 comments:

  1. I think it's always fun to create a goal other than the intended objective. In Munchkin, it's about who can assemble to Bananafanabobaser Laser first. In Magic, how can I create an infinite combo before my opponent beats me? In Apples to Apples, Kirk always has to win, and I always have to play "Helen Keller" when someone plays "touchy-feely."

    Having alternative goals in mind doesn't let you get away with breaking rules. To the contrary, I've found that if you approach a game with a personal goal over the intent, you actually learn how to play better than some of the opposition.

    In Munchkin, on my hunt for the most epic of space weapons, I usually end up with enough junk to score ten points before I can do it.
    In magic, having been defeated enough times, I learn how to streamline my combos, and employ them faster, though in the streamlining my deck becomes more threatening and vanquishes opponents before I can assemble my ultimate destruction.
    In apples to apples...well, we never play by the rules anyway, and a six player game can end at about 300+ points, or whenever we've had too much to drink, or when something shiny catches our attention, or...

    As you can see, playing with alternate goals tones down the urgent desire to "win at all costs." In fact, playing by the rules all the time bores me.

    Once you become accustomed to the rules and the game, you learn how to manipulate it better. In that manipulation, something about the spirit of the game is lost. It stops being a game and just becomes, well, routine. The whole point of games is to have fun, not take it personally, and make sure everyone is having a good time.

    This is why I find Fluxx so awesome.

    Adjacently, mayhaps players should celebrate the victories of their opponents in these games. Instead of the dissappointment that comes with losing, celebrating a winning strategy can do alot for a person's mood and his or her desire to remain within a certain community. That person then gives back what has been given, and we end up in a circuit of positivism

    And that is what having fun is all about.

    Thanks, Cap'n.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I like to make up my own goals, too.

      In regards to manipulating games, sometimes it can be fun to break a game, especially working with other people, but mostly I've found this with video games more than board games. For example, my friends and I got bored of regular Mario Kart 64, so we started playing backwards where we'd go the wrong way on the track and last place was really first place and got all the best items. One time while driving through the shortcuts backwards, we found a spot where we could fall through the world. We spent at least the next 30 minutes driving back and forth over that spot trying to find it again. Stupid, but we were having a lot of fun.

      However, breaking games in order to benefit is not as much fun. Well...not usually...sometimes it's fun to use an exploit on someone to mess with them, but never to intentionally win.

      Ultimately you are right. Games are about having fun. If everyone has a fun time being ultra competitive, then by all means, play to win. But, at all times I think it's important to step back and make sure everyone's still enjoying themselves. At least, that's something I'm trying to be better at...

      Delete