Friday, August 31, 2012

Jules Verne

I blame high school for my fear of the word "classic".  Nearly every English class forced me to read really boring classic books and then analyze them to death probably reading in all sorts of meaning the original authors never intended.  Thanks to that practice, I gained the incorrect assumption that all classic books were just as boring and hard to read.  It wasn't until after League of Extraordinary Gentlemen came out that I started to break that assumption.  I wanted to know the backstories to all (or at least most of) the characters to see the source material.  This led to some very hilarious discoveries like Mr. Hyde is actually smaller than Dr. Jekyll, not a big hulking brute, Mina was not a vampire, and (unfortunately) that 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea is the most boring book I have ever read.

There is one single action scene in that book that lasts all of a single page.  The rest of the entire book is just long descriptions of various fishes and how horrible civilization is and thus Captain Nemo must destroy it (which makes him better, how?).  But, as with most media, I decided to give Jules Verne three chances to get me interested.  So I read Journey to the Center of the Earth, which was slightly better, but still just a lot of nothing happening with long descriptions of geology this time.  The one action scene in that didn't even really involve the humans, they just watched it happen.

But a few nights ago I finished The Mysterious Island.  I don't know if I just love castaway stories or something, but this book was much more enjoyable.  There are still long descriptions of science-y things, but this time it was on how things like gunpowder, telegraph wire, hydraulic lifts, and other scientific innovations were created.  There also was more than one action scene and the main characters actually were involved in them.  They still magically get saved (twice) in no part thanks to them, which is kind of lame, but at least they did something this time.

So Jules Verne has had his three chances and thanks to The Mysterious Island, he has slightly redeemed himself in my eyes, but I doubt I'll be reading any more books of his in the future.  It's not that he's a bad writer by any means, but his books are not my style.  Just like character movies - Napoleon Dynamite, Best in Show, A Mighty Wind, etc - his stories are all about a journey with no real goal in mind.  I have nothing to look forward to, I don't know what anyone's motivation is.  People are just kind of doing a bunch of stuff just because.  I have never liked stories like that.  At the same time, I'm glad I gave Mr. Verne two more chances.  Now I have more ideas for board game premises.  :)

3 comments:

  1. I read Mysterious Island a while back when people thought that it had some tie-in with Lost. I didn't notice any tie-in but I really enjoyed the book even though it was really unlike any other book that I have read. It has a unique style that is a little dry but keeps you coming back for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kyle - I felt the same way while reading the book. I wouldn't really relate Lost to it other than there are people who crashed on an island. The people in Mysterious Island are much smarter about being castaways. :) I definitely kept looking forward to what happened next.

    Adam - I've read The Time Machine, The Island of Dr. Moreau, The Invisible Man, and The War of the Worlds and loved all of them. H.G. Wells did not need three chances for me to like him at all. :)

    ReplyDelete