Monday, September 9, 2013

Coming Attractions: Fall 2013 Movies


  • September
    • Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs 2
      • Looks punnier than a Piers Anthony book in his Xanth series
      • I hope there are more jokes than what was in the trailer
  • October
    • Escape Plan
      • Sci-fi(ish) prison escape movie starring Rambo and the Governator, need I say more?
      • I'm hoping for some good twists (a staple of prison escape movies) and good action (a staple of Rocky and Conan)
  • November
    • Ender's Game
      • An amazing book they hopefully treat well and stars Harrison Ford
      • I'm hoping it's not terrible...
    • Thor: The Dark World
      • It's a Marvel comic book movie
      • I'm hoping it starts to make the weirdness that is Thanos a little more palatable to the masses
    • The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
      • The book series is great (I think the 2nd one might be my favorite) and they did well enough with the first one
      • I'm hoping they use less stupid action camera work where you can't see what's happening
  • December
    • The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
      • I want to see how beautiful they make Smaug and to see why they think a third movie is warranted
      • I'm hoping I can make it through the Mirkwood section to see an awesome looking dragon
    • Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues
      • I love lamp
      • I'm hoping for another giant battle between the various news channels

5 comments:

  1. OK, we need to remember, though, exactly how terrible Thor was. It needs to be said loudly - it was BAD. And what is most egregious about this was that it had such an absolutely incredible roster. Stellan Skarsgard? Check. Tom Hiddleston? Check. Anthony Freaking Hopkins? Check. Directed by Kenneth Branagh? Check. Oh, Idris Elba? Yeah, we got that. But what is most annoying, I think, was that they took Natalie Portman, an actress of real talent and depth, and made her into a giggly schoolgirl when Thor shows up. I am in no hurry to see this in the theaters - I hope it's better than the first, but they don't get a free pass on it. By far the worst of the Avengers movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that Thor was the worst of the Avengers movies, but I didn't hate it. I was entertained and it was a step towards building the magic-side of Marvel's universe, which is needed if we ever want some of the more bizarre and more interesting Marvel characters, like Dr. Strange, to be successful.

      I guess it should be noted that I've never really liked Thor very much, so I went into the movie with incredibly low expectations.

      Delete
    2. Thor was disappointing. I didn't think it was terrible, but it was no better than the average comic book movie. I expect more from Marvel now.

      But one of the things I loved about Avengers was that it actually retconned Thor to be better, primarily (for me) by exploring Thor and Loki's relationship even better.

      Delete
  2. Man, a Dr. Strange movie would be amazing. I don't think they will ever do it, though. Dang, now I can't stop thinking about this. Who would you cast as Dr. Strange, Cap'n Heine?
    I don't think I had very high hopes for Thor either, and I was still disappointed. I don't know, maybe it wasn't that I had high or low hopes, but that I had (what I thought to be very reasonable) expectations of the quality of the movie, based on the cast and the director. It wasn't just the performances, either - what was with that big robot Thor fought? How was that an interesting fight or villain?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks like Doctor Strange is still in the script stage, but last I heard they are trying to go forward with a movie with him. No idea who Dr. Strange would be, though. Google images show Liam Neeson photoshops, that'd be neat.

      Haha that's really funny because I actually liked the Destroyer. Maybe not the fight itself, I just really liked the design of the armor.

      Delete